The overarching aim of the Internet of Things (IoT) MSP project was to develop the concept of an IoT Multi-Disciplinary Standards Platform that could act as the main vehicle for exploitation of a significant part of the research outputs from the PETRAS project work particularly focusing on impact in the area of standards development. To achieve this aim, the IoT MSP project defined the following objectives:
- To create and strengthen strategic relationships with key stakeholders developing routes to impact, initially partners identified as BSI Ltd. and the Digital Catapult.
- To develop a programme of work focusing on key standardisation challenges based on the PETRAS IoT Research Hub’s findings.
- To create immediate impact, shaping the country’s IoT agenda and informing policy options for the government to promote the safe deployment of IoT across a plausible set of sectors.
- To convene and consolidate a community of good practice in charge of driving and overseeing IoT standards development and adoption.
- To influence the European and International standardisation system with a view to providing commercial advantage to UK innovators.
- To keep UK stakeholders informed of on-going international IoT standardisation activities, thus closing gaps across fragmented international knowledge networks.
- To develop links with other standards development organisations and consortia as appropriate.